Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Six Month Check-up

Braden had his 6 month check up yesterday. This had been his longest stretch of time between appointments and I was eager to know his weight. He was 12 lbs. 10 oz. and I have to admit to being surprised and initially disappointed. (I really need to quit asking other people how much their baby weighs. Duh, they are ALL bigger and heavier and Braden's "normal" is just that, Braden's! Asking just causes me to compare him and feel anxious about something I really don't need to worry about.) I guess I just am concerned that the nursing is too hard for him and burning off too many calories or that he needs a higher caloric intake or more fluids. I was all ready to head to "guilt land" and the good doctor helped me ground myself with reality. I am so grateful for a pediatrician who loves the Lord. He was so reassuring about Braden's growth, noting his bright eyes and inquisitive manner. He showed me that baby Braden's weight gain is following the curve, it's just underneath it! His length, however, was actually in the 19th percentile and his head was somewhere in that area too. So, overall great appointment, Braden took his shots like a trooper and that was that. We just keep on keeping on!

Mother's Day was a treat, celebrating with my wonderful husband and FOUR kids. We ate out at our favorite Mexican restaurant and then I opened sweet cards and gifts from all. (Braden is a great little shopper! ) It was an emotional day as a mommy to count my blessings, especially the little baby boy one.

Braden started cereal last week and isn't too wild about it, gags on it actually. Watching him eat is great big sister entertainment, by the way. Who needs TV?! He has also started something that we affectionately call his "war cry". It is like he has discovered he has a big voice and can make a BIG noise that is louder than all the other noises put together. Its really hideous, kind of a grating half shriek, half yell. If you're lucky, you may even get to hear it for yourself. Hopefully not during prayer time during church service, but maybe!

1 comment:

Delena said...

Great to hear the progress. Sounds like he's moving right along!