Saturday, December 6, 2008

Time to pray!

We're days away from surgery and it's time. In the past week Braden stopped putting on weight and was getting tired during feedings, falling asleep and being lethargic. He had to be put on a feeding tube. It actually sounds worse than it is. We were all traumatized slightly by its insertion (Daddy, Mommy & Braden), but now that it is in place, it's really helping Braden keep his food and meds down. In fact it has been so easy feeding him we have considered requesting them for our other picky eaters. It would be so much easier to get veggies into the girls that way. Sounds terrible I know, but at our current point in life, Darth and I are grasping to lighten the moments when we can. The overlying stress of this week, preparing to return to Seattle for surgery . . . , to describe it "intense" is an understatement.

With the feeding tube, Braden has plateaued at the same weight. We were hoping for major growth and weight gain. Still, we are encouraged that he is no longer losing weight. And, he looks so good, a bit on the skinny side compared to our other babies, but definitely bright-eyed, great color, alert. In our educational process with Braden's heart defects, we have learned that the signs we are seeing are really leading to surgery; there is no good reason to wait longer.

Going into this whole thing, we knew there was no way to specifically predict the exact way things would go. It continues to amaze us that we were able to even bring Braden home in the first place. Having him home pre-surgery wasn't even a thought for us so we have been blessed again and again by our time here.

On Tuesday, Braden is scheduled for surgery involving an arterial switch to fix the Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA, also referred to as TGV, Transposition of the Great Vessels) and to repair the Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD). Now that surgery is so close, we have some really specific things to pray for:

  • The tricky part of the surgery (arterial switch component) is working with the coronary arteries. Please pray that the delicate arteries would be easy to work with as they are switched from the pulmonary artery to the aorta. Pray that the coronary arteries will in no way be harmed during the procedure.
  • Pray for our surgeon by name, Dr. Cohen, that Jesus will guide his hands and give him wisdom during the surgery. There will be another surgeon working with him, either Dr. McMullen or Dr. Permut. Please pray that they will work well as a team in their care of Braden.
  • Since the hole in the lower chambers is large (VSD), please pray that it will be repairable with one surgery.
  • Please pray that Braden's body will respond well to the medical procedures, that he will recover quickly.
  • Pray for peace over our immediate and extended family, to trust the Lord with every report, that He will make us strong on the days of pre-op appointments, surgery and recovery days immediately following.
  • Health! For Darth and I to get the rest we need to stay healthy and for our girls' health, especially during the winter months.
  • Please pray that we would have wisdom in parenting our other 3 children during Braden's surgery period, that they would feel secure in our love for them and not be overly fearful for baby brother.

We have been so supported during this time by friends, family, our pediatrician and other medical personnel, and church. Thank you Jesus for the amazing, loving, giving people you have placed in our lives to help us through this difficult time! We may seem strong, but it is the confidence in the Lord and His ultimate control over life that we are relying on each day. He is good and He knows what He is doing and we trust Him. Again, thank you for praying; please don't stop!

-Jenni & Darth

7 comments:

SteveC said...

Jenni and Darth;

My name is Steve, and like Braden I have a heart defect. Mine is Tricuspid Atresia - my Tricuspid Valve inside my heart doesn't exist (there is a wall where the valve should be) and because of it, my Right Ventricle is very small and deformed.

I'm 42 years old, and I've had three heart surgeries. And even though I seem to have hit a lot of the "bumps in the road", and doing pretty good!

The FIRST thing that is going to happen is that the surgery will take longer that they tell you it will. It can't be helped, surgical procedures (especially heart surgery) can't be rushed, and everything moves at its own pace. So if they tell you "Four hours" and you pass the four hour mark with no word, try not to worry. I know that is hard to do; it's natural, but try.

When you see your son for the first time after the operation, be prepared. He is going to be surrounded by machines that beep and buzz, and there will be tubes running to almost every area of his body. He may have a tube down his throat. And he could appear to be swelled as his body reacts to the surgery. It's not pretty, but it happens. Stay strong.

Darth, you're Daddy and Husband, and I'm sure that you feel like it's your job to take care of everything. You can't take care of this - no one can. So now it is your job to give Braden a fighting chance. You've done that, Seattle has great medical facilities. Good job, Brother!

I'm going to be keeping you three in my thoughts over the weekend, and I write a blog named "Adventures of a Funky Heart!" I'm going to put Braden in my blogroll and tell my readers to hold you guys close.

Take care of yourselves;

Steve

Adventures of a Funky Heart! blog:
http://tricuspid.wordpress.com/

Awesome Mom said...

Hang in there!!! It is super scary to hand over your precious child to the surgeon. I will be praying that all goes well and that there are no complications.

Katie said...

I found your blog through the Adventures of a Funky Heart blog. Just wanted to say hello...we too, have a heart baby, Maddie, 8 months old with HRHS. She's had 2 open heart surgeries and is doing great...all at Seattle Children's as well, Dr. McMullan as her surgeon. I will be keeping your little guy in my thoughts and prayers...

Hang in there! If you need another "heart mom" to chat with, I'd love to be of support to you!

Love,
Katie from Royal City, WA
http://allredbabygirl.blogspot.com
email: katieall@smwireless.net

Traci said...

Jenni & Darth, I have been and will be praying for sweet little Braden (Jenni, I saw pix that your mom sent my mom - he's adorable). I have asked some of my close friends to be praying as well. Our Father is holding Braden in his strong arms!!

Unknown said...

Hi,
My daughter was born in May with TGA & had the arterial switch surgery at 4 days old.

I pray that your son's surgery goes well & he recovers quick. Feel free to email me through my blog if you wish to chat.

Jamie,
www.twobeautifulblessings.blogspot.com

Shiloh said...

I got your blog address from Traci's email for prayer. I just want you to know that I will be praying for your baby and you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My son was born with TGA, VSD 4/25/07 and had the arterial switch operation when he was 5 days old. He is an active toddler now and looking at him you would never know anything ever happened. We will be praying for your family and little Braden. Remember God is the ultimate physician and He has a plan and a purpose for all of this. If you'd like to talk to someone who has been through this experience please don't hesitate to contact me at austinwengirl@yahoo.com.

Warmest Regards,

Wendi