Thursday, February 12, 2009

Braden's Dedication

On Sunday, February 8, 2009, we had the joy of dedicating Braden, now 3 months old, to the Lord in the presence of our family and congregation. It took some work to get our crew over to the church for the service. Darth goes over early for worship team practice, so it was a one to four ratio, parent to children. I have to say, that morning was a bit hectic, trying to get myself and FOUR kids (I have to keep reminding myself I am the mother of 4!) ready and out the door, looking presentable, at the same time. Tricky business. The girls are at this interesting point in life, old enough to do most things for themselves, but young enough to be easily distracted by almost anything, the dog, the TV, the ... (you name it). I'm pretty sure I raised my voice a few times that morning! My kids still love me, but we will have to keep working on the responsibility-follow-through thing.

It was a day of celebration for us. Both our families came over to be a part of the day, filling two entire rows in the sanctuary. They needed to be there. Every family member has walked this road right along with us from the beginning, when we discovered we were having a baby with heart defects. From July to the present, our parents and siblings, have been so encouraging, praying, taking our girls when we needed them to, just being there for us. The service was a special time to remember how far God has brought Braden. Our family members have seen him at his worst, in ICU with the open chest and lines everywhere, to today, where he looks absolutely fabulous and amazingly adorable. It was an joyous time of celebration and expressing gratitude to Jesus for all He has done in Braden's life, as well as in our family.

Pastor Jerry brought Darth, myself, Kara, Megan, Rachel, and of course Braden, onto the platform. He spoke for several minutes, on the miracle that Braden is, where he has been, and where he is now. There was a beautiful arrangement of yellow roses for me. I appreciated the gift as well as the verbal blessing to be where I am needed most, with Braden. I haven't been to church since November and that has felt really strange. However, I know that this season with Braden is extremely important.

After sharing some of the Bible passages that have been so close to our hearts, like Jeremiah 29:11, Pastor Jerry challenged us to raise Braden for the Lord. Darth and I affirmed our desire to train Braden in the knowledge of God and His Word. Then others on the pastoral staff came on stage to join us for prayer. The prayer time was wonderful. Braden started crying, because unfortunately he didn't get to finish his bottle and I didn't think to bring a pacifier on stage. I whispered to Kara to go find one in my purse and she saved the day! The crying, magnified by the microphones on the platform, was another display of Braden's health. I don't think anyone minded the noise. The pacifier worked its magic and then we could once again hear Pastor's prayer. Thank you Lord for our precious baby boy and wonderful girls. We ARE blessed.

A brief health update: Braden now has an homecare nurse that will be coming by once a week for tracking his growth. Darth and I are very glad to not have to take baby weekly into the pediatrician's office. This is a bad season for frequenting where the germs are! Braden weighed 8 lbs 11 oz on Wednesday. He is feeling more solid when we hold him and his little cheeks are getting fuller. So cute! He has also been doing little bits of tummy time. The incision and pacer have made this a long time in coming so we are starting slowly.

-Jenni

1 comment:

sarah :) said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the details of the day, Jenni :)
Blessings!