Friday, February 6, 2009

February Cardiology Visit

Braden saw the cardiologist at the outreach clinic today. It is a wonderful thing to have access to great medical care. The clinic is held 5 minutes from home. We appreciate not having to drive to Seattle for every appointment.

The visit went really well. Braden weighed 8 lbs. 4 oz., up from yesterday (hey, ounces matter!). He had an echo, done by the same tech who did the pre-surgery echo. Braden was very cooperative, drinking his bottle and watching Baby Mozart on the TV. The doctor was pleased with the heart function. Always love those good reports. Braden's diaphragm is still enlarged and that issue links to the initial surgery. It may take a while for that to correct, for the diaphragm to return to normal position and function. We may have to wait several months for the diaphragm to heal and the left lung to be able to fully expand again. The cardiologist wasn't too concerned since Braden is looking good and gaining weight. If he was "limping along" it would be another story, but thankfully that doesn't describe our boy!!! Also, we have dropped another medication, down to three now. We came home from Children's with five.

Please pray for the diaphragm to heal, for health for our family (the girls keep picking up sniffles and coughs from school), and for weight gain. Thank you!

-Darth & Jenni

4 comments:

Diane Nehring said...

Dear Darth and Jenni, Thank you so much for all the time and effort you give to keeping Braden's web site updated. I check it each day for the good reports of the Lord. I always lay hands on Braden's picture and pray for God's continued healing in his life. We have many praying for him and they always want to hear of any updates on him. I know people check his site but do not always leave a comment. Our prayers will continue daily for Braden's healing and for all of your beautiful family. Again, thank you. Stay strong in Him, our God is so Good!
Love and Prayers Always,
Diane Nehring

Brandi said...

I found your blog through the funky heart site. My son was born with TGA and had surgery in June. He also experienced diaphragm issues (paralysis on the right side) that took awhile to resolve, but did so with no intervention around 4 months post op. I just wanted you to know, I was so worried, our doctors said it would take "awhile" also and it seemed like forever, but he is doing amazingly well at this point, you would never even know he had surgery. I wish Braden a continued solid recovery and your family strength. You are in my prayers. Take care.

Brandi Stratman
ryanandrewstraman.blogspot.com

Hydee said...

Jenni and Darth,
Today's dedication of Braden was remarkable for me, I can only imagine what a milestone it was for your family. I cried the entire time, not sure how you two stayed so together... or at least it appeared that way. Thank you aggain for being so open with the information you have shared about the journey you're undertaking - whether by choice or not.
Hearing Braden's little voice was so soothing. It was like he was telling us, 'Hey, I'm fine... see I can make my lungs get really big and then I can make this great sound! Wanna hear it again?' It was perfect!

Queen Mimi said...

What a Great Report.
I must agree with you...Ounces DO matter. I lost 0.4 pounds this past week on Weight Watchers and I'm celebrating too! LOL
Thanks for keeping us updated. Still praying for you guys.