Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Five Months Old

Braden turned five months old last week. Amazing! Here's some of the latest . . .

Over the past weeks we have seen baby make great progress with his neck strength. Braden is gaining endurance on his tummy and holds his head up much longer now. So cute! His physical therapy starts next week and I hope the therapist sees improvement from her last observations.

Braden likes being held in a supported sitting position now, really enjoying being part of family time around the dining table. He sits and observes the chaos of mealtimes with a lot of interest. We are very entertaining for him. Braden also really likes it when his sisters do the "Banana" cheer they learned at Mega Kids Sports Camp. He is learning that if he squawks, they will do it again. Only 5 months old and bossing the older sisters around already.

Braden went to his first egg hunt and attended a church service for the first time this past holiday weekend. It was a monumental feat to get all of us to church. Darth was there already so I was outnumbered, but I conquered, thank you very much. No, we weren't on time, but that is besides the point. It was scary to take Braden to such a large social gathering. He just hasn't been out. I kept him in his carrier the majority of the time and that discouraged touching. Braden had another fever last week and more cold symptoms, so continuing to assertively protect him is beneficial. God is giving me strength in these socially awkward situations. Saying "look but don't touch" is easier to say to kids than to adults.

Because his neck is getting so strong, Braden can now be carried face out in the front pack carrier. The soft material of the Moby wrap is great for him and comfortable for me. He went through Costco on Monday loving life and looking super cute. Outings are so exciting for him because he just hasn't been out! And who doesn't love Costco?! (We lead such an exciting life.)

I continue to be very content in my current role as Braden's mommy, nurse, therapist, and teacher. Focusing on his development is so important right now. The slower pace of stepping back from too many commitments is refreshing. I am choosing to enjoy this season with little precious one because it will pass quickly and then life will get hurried and harried again. I am blessed to be able to stay home with my kids.

More updates soon. Thanks for your continued prayers for Braden and our family.
-Jenni

2 comments:

Delena said...

I was wondering if you were going to make the big venture to church. Good for you. :)

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Darth and Jenni,

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Children's Health Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff